Saturday, November 6, 2010

11-6-10 Surfing

So I wanted to try surfing before I started work on Monday and today was the day. I managed to stand up each time (except once) that I caught a wave, including the first one I caught! What you don't realize about surfing is that you only spend 1/100th of the time actually surfing. The rest of the time you spend paddling, which is a lot like rowing a boat except you're on your stomach and don't have oars. Not helping the paddling situation is the fact that the board is the size of a Manhattan studio apartment. It was completely exhausting. Still, I had a lot of fun. The one mess up was the second to last wave when the instructor asked if I was ready to try a "big one." I said yes, got on the wave, and crashed immediately. So I got on the next "big one" and rode it as far as I could from the reef back to the shore. It was great.


Thanks to Raquel for taking the pictures and remember, you can click on the pics to see the larger version of the image.

No comments:

Post a Comment